with fresh milled organic Spelt and Oats
My Grandmother's famous date squares were a beloved treat at her house. This nourishing, easy GRAINSTORM adaptation got two thumbs up from my family.
Grain for home milling
- 255 g (9 oz) organic spelt kernels, milled fine
- 60 g (2 oz) organic oat groats, milled fine
- 115 g (4 oz) organic oat groats, flaked
Weigh out grains for milling, mix together and mill at finest setting, flake remaining oats
Other dry mix ingredients
- 4 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder (non-GMO)
- ½ tsp sea salt
Not home milling?
Use our dry mix.
- ½ cup Sucanat or brown sugar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups coarsely chopped dates
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease a 9 x 9” square baking pan.
- Combine dates and orange juice in a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the dates are soft and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- Empty scone mix into a large bowl. Add brown sugar and vanilla, and mix well.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Press half of mixture into a 9” square greased baking pan. (Note: Do NOT substitute a larger pan, as these squares are meant to be thick)
- Spread the date mixture evenly over the crumb base, then sprinkle the remaining
- crumb mixture on top of the date layer.
- Bake at 350F for 22-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool completely before slicing. Store in an airtight container. These freeze well, too.