with fresh milled organic Red Fife heritage wheat
Lighter and more textured than typical Banana Bread and substantially less sweet. Bake in two shallow loaves rather than one deep one for better rise and crumb.
Grain for home milling
- 400 g (14 oz) organic Red Fife heritage wheat kernels
Weigh out your grain and mill at fine setting
Other dry mix ingredients
- 6 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder (non-GMO)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
Not home milling?
Use our dry mix.
- 2 large eggs
- ½ stick (4 tbsp) butter, melted
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1¾ cups plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup chopped raw walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F, use convection if you have it; lightly grease two loaf pans
- Dry mix: combine your fresh milled flour with other dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside (Or use 1 bag of our fresh stone-ground Red Fife Muffin Mix)
- Wet mix: in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Other ingredients: mash banana and chop walnuts very fine; combine them with wet mix in the large bowl
- Final batter: combine dry and wet mixes, folding gently until no dry spots remain. Do not over mix. Do NOT beat smooth.
- Split batter between pans
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until the tops JUST spring back. Do not over bake or loaves will be tough
- Remove from oven, set in pans for 10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack
Makes 2 medium loaves