with fresh milled and flaked organic oats
Combine the gorgeous flavours and textures of these heritage oatmeal cookies with creamy, top quality ice cream and you get a sublime summer treat that is always a big hit.
Grain for home milling
- 85 g (3 oz) organic oat groats, milled fine
- 255 g (9 oz) organic oat groats, flaked
Weigh out your oats, mill about 25% at finest setting and flake the rest with an oat flaker
Other dry mix ingredients
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 3 tbsp organic Sucanat®
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
Not home milling?
Use our dry mix.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick (½ cup) plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 pints homemade or super-premium vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F, lightly grease cookie sheets
- Dry mix: combine your fresh milled flour with other dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside (Or use 1 bag of our fresh stone-ground All Oatmeal Cookie Mix)
- Wet mix: in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Other ingredients: prepare and combine with wet mix in the large bowl
- Final batter: combine dry and wet mixes, folding gently until no dry spots remain. Do not over mix. Do NOT beat smooth.
- Let stand for 30 to 60 minnutes so the oats can absorb the liquid.
- portion generous dough balls onto cookie sheet, 12 to a sheet, and flatten out with fork
- bake 13-15 min until well browned; remove to cool completely
- load the bottom of one cookie generously with ice cream and top with another
- makes 12 large ice cream sandwiches
Makes 12 servings